Sandbulte MR, Jimenez GS, Boon ACM, Smith LR, Tre. Cross-Reactive Neuraminidase Antibodies Afford Partial Protection against H5N1 in Mice and Are Present in Unexposed Humans. PLoS Medicine Vol. 4, No. 2, e59 doi:10.1371/journ
A pandemic H5N1 influenza outbreak would be facilitated by an absence of immunity to the avian-derived virus in the human population. Although this condition is likely in regard to hemagglutinin-mediated immunity, the neuraminidase (NA) of H5N1 viruses (avN1) and of endemic human H1N1 viruses (huN1) are classified in the same serotype. We hypothesized that an immune response to huN1 could mediate cross-protection against H5N1 influenza virus infection.
Methods and Findings
Mice were immunized against the NA of a contemporary human H1N1 strain by DNA vaccination. They were challenged with recombinant A/Puerto Rico/8/34 (PR8) viruses bearing huN1 (PR8-huN1) or avN1 (PR8-avN1) or with H5N1 virus A/Vietnam/1203/04. Additional na?ve mice were injected with sera from vaccinated mice prior to H5N1 challenge. Also, serum specimens from humans were analyzed for reactivity with avN1. Immunization elicited a serum IgG response to huN1 and robust protection against the homologous challenge virus. Immunized mice were partially protected from lethal challenge with H5N1 virus or recombinant PR8-avN1. Sera transferred from immunized mice to na?ve animals conferred similar protection against H5N1 mortality. Analysis of human sera showed that antibodies able to inhibit the sialidase activity of avN1 exist in some individuals.
These data reveal that humoral immunity elicited by huN1 can partially protect against H5N1 infection in a mammalian host. Our results suggest that a portion of the human population could have some degree of resistance to H5N1 influenza, with the possibility that this could be induced or enhanced through immunization with seasonal influenza vaccines.
- Development of a Monoclonal Antibody-Based Antigen Capture Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay for Detection of H7N9 Subtype Avian Influenza Virus 17 hours ago
- Development of A4 Antibody for Detection of Neuraminidase I223R/H275Y-associated Antiviral Multidrug-Resistant Influenza Virus 17 hours ago
- Modelling Analysis Revealed the Distinct Global Transmission Patterns of Influenza A Viruses and Their Influencing Factors 2 days ago
- Identification of Optimal Sample Collection Devices and Sampling Locations for the Detection Environmental Viral Contamination in Wire Poultry Cages 3 days ago
- SOCS3-deficient Lung Epithelial Cells Uptaking Neutrophil-Derived SOCS3 Worsens Lung Influenza Infection 3 days ago