Dong K, Gong H, Zhong G, Deng X, Tian Y, Wang M, Y. Estimating mortality associated with seasonal influenza among adults aged 65 years and above in China from 2011 to 2016: A systematic review and model analysis. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2022 Nov 17
Methods: Through a systematic review, we collected influenza-associated excess R&C and AC mortality data of older adults aged 65 years and above for specific cities/provinces in mainland China. Generalized linear models were fitted to estimate the corresponding excess mortality for older adults by province and nationwide, accounting for the potential variables of influenza virus activity, demography, economics, meteorology, and health service. All statistical analyses were conducted using R software.
Results: A total of 9154 studies were identified in English and Chinese databases, and 11 (0.1%) were included in the quantitative synthesis after excluding duplicates and screening the title, abstract, and full text. Using a generalized linear model, the estimates of annual national average influenza-associated excess R&C and AC mortality among older adults aged 65 years and above were 111.8 (95% CI: 92.8-141.1) and 151.6 (95% CI: 127.6-179.3) per 100,000 persons, respectively. Large variations in influenza-associated excess R&C and AC mortality among older adults were observed among 30 provinces.
Conclusions: Influenza was associated with substantial excess R&C and AC mortality among older adults aged 65 years and above in China from 2011 to 2016. This analysis provides valuable evidence for the introduction of the influenza vaccine into the National Immunization Program for the elderly in China.
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 virus infection of companion animals 14 hours ago
- Genetically Related Avian Influenza H7N9 Viruses Exhibit Different Pathogenicity in Mice 15 hours ago
- Progress in development and application of H5/H7 avian influenza vaccines in China 2 days ago
- Virulence and transmission characteristics of clade 220.127.116.11b H5N6 subtype avian influenza viruses possessing different internal gene constellations 2 days ago
- Use of Reverse Genetics for the Generation of Recombinant Influenza Viruses Carrying Nanoluciferase 2 days ago