Cheng J, Tao J, Li B, Shi Y, Liu H. Swine influenza virus triggers ferroptosis in A549 cells to enhance virus replication. Virol J. 2022 Jun 17;19(1):104
Method: In this study, a quantitative proteomics approach based on an iTRAQ combined with LC-MS/MS was used to profile proteins expressed in A549 cells infected with H1N1 swine influenza virus (SIV). Meanwhile, we measured the intracellular iron content, reactive oxygen species (ROS) release and lipid peroxidation in response to SIV infection. Finally, a drug experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of ferroptosis on modulating SIV survival.
Results: The bioinformatics analysis revealed several proteins closely relevant to iron homeostasis and transport, and the ferroptosis signaling pathway are highly enriched in response to SIV infection. In our experiment, aberrant expression of iron-binding proteins disrupted labile iron uptake and storage after SIV infection. Meanwhile, SIV infection inhibited system the Xc-/GPX4 axis resulting in GSH depletion and the accumulation of lipid peroxidation products. Notably, cell death caused by SIV as a result of iron-dependent lipid peroxidation can be partially rescued by ferroptosis inhibitor. Additionally, blockade of the ferroptotic pathway by ferrostatin-1 (Fer-1) treatment decreased viral titers and inflammatory response.
Conclusions: This study revealed a new mode of cell death induced by IAV infection, and our findings might improve the understanding of the underlying mechanism involved in the interaction of virus and host cells.
- Improved method for avian influenza virus isolation from environmental water samples 23 hours ago
- Swine influenza virus triggers ferroptosis in A549 cells to enhance virus replication 2 days ago
- Dynamic downscaling and daily nowcasting from influenza surveillance data 2 days ago
- HA and M2 sequences alter the replication of 2013-16 H1 live attenuated influenza vaccine infection in human nasal epithelial cell cultures 2 days ago
- Has Epizootic Become Enzootic? Evidence for a Fundamental Change in the Infection Dynamics of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Europe, 2021 2 days ago