Zhang S, Yu JL, He L, Gong L, Hou S, Zhu M, Wu JB,. Molecular characteristics of the H9N2 avian influenza viruses in live poultry markets in Anhui Province, China, 2013 to 2018. Health Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 6;4(1):e230
Methods: The genomic RNA of Anhui H9N2 isolates was subjected to RT-PCR amplification followed by sequencing analysis.
Results: Thirty-three strains were isolated from the embryonated eggs of specific-pathogen-free chickens. Phylogenetic analysis indicated that h188.8.131.52-like H9N2 viruses were predominant during 2013-2018 and acquired multiple specific amino acid mutations that may have increased their affinity for mammals and enhanced their infectivity and transmissibility. Additionally, six internal genes of H9N2 clustered together with the novel human-lethal reassortant viruses, such as the low-pathogenicity H7N9, H10N8, and Anhui H5N6 viruses, and even HPAI H7N9.
Conclusion: Because H9N2 viruses may be the donors of internal genes that lead to the generation of novel reassortant viruses with enhanced pathogenicity in Anhui province, continuous environmental surveillance of live poultry markets, a key source of reassorted H9N2 and other avian influenza viruses, is of great importance.
- Adjuvantation of Influenza Vaccines to Induce Cross-Protective Immunity 5 hours ago
- Influenza A Virus Hemagglutinin and Other Pathogen Glycoprotein Interactions with NK Cell Natural Cytotoxicity Receptors NKp46, NKp44, and NKp30 5 hours ago
- Anomalous influenza seasonality in the United States and the emergence of novel influenza B viruses 5 hours ago
- Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A(H5N8) Virus Spread by Short- and Long-Range Transmission, France, 2016-17 5 hours ago
- Unique structural solution from a V H 3-30 antibody targeting the hemagglutinin stem of influenza A viruses 5 hours ago