Liu Y, Wang Y, Liu B, Cong X, Ji Y, Guo X, Gao Y. Phylogenetic analysis and clinical characteristics of the co-occurring mutations in HA and NA genes of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses during 2015-2017 in Beijing, China. Virol J. 2020 Nov 19;17(1):182.
Methods: A(H1N1)pdm09 was confirmed by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. HA and NA genes were sequenced and phylogenetically analyzed. Clinical characteristics of the co-occurring mutations were analyzed statistically.
Results: By analyzing the HA and NA gene sequences of 33 A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses during the 2015-2017 influenza season, we found that all the viruses shared high similarities to each other and the HA genes of these viruses exclusively belonged to subclade 6B.1A. Several unreported substitutions in HA and NA proteins were observed, furthermore, co-occurring mutations of HA-V169T, A278S, E508G, D518E and NA-V67I were detected in 30.3% (10/33) A(H1N1)pdm09 virus strains when comparing with vaccine strains A/California/07/2009 and A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1). Sore throat was significantly associated with co-occurring mutations in HA and NA of A(H1N1)pdm09 (χ2, P < 0.05).
Conclusions: Co-occurring mutations in HA and NA were detected in A(H1N1)pdm09 isolated during 2015-2017 in Beijing. Symptomatically, sore throat was associated with co-occurring mutations in HA and NA of A(H1N1)pdm09. Therefore, studying the effect and mechanism of co-occurring mutations in HA and NA on patients´ clinical features is of note needed.
- Optimizing the early detection of low pathogenic avian influenza H7N9 virus in live bird markets 18 hours ago
- Antigenic differences between equine influenza virus vaccine strains and Florida sublineage clade 1 strains isolated in Europe in 2019 18 hours ago
- An influenza A(H5N8) virus isolated during an outbreak at a poultry farm in Russia in 2017 has an N294S substitution in the neuraminidase and shows reduced susceptibility to oseltamivir 18 hours ago
- Replication-Competent ΔNS1 Influenza A Viruses Expressing Reporter Genes 4 days ago
- Biological Properties and Genetic Characterization of Novel Low Pathogenic H7N3 Avian Influenza Viruses Isolated from Mallard Ducks in the Caspian Region, Dagestan, Russia 4 days ago