Nüssing S, Mifsud E, Hensen L, et al. Viral Burden, Inflammatory Milieu and CD8 + T-cell Responses to Influenza Virus in a Second-Generation Thiazolide (RM-5061) and Oseltamivir Combination Therapy Study. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2020;10.1111/irv.1
Methods: In this study, we utilized a host-targeting molecule RM-5061, a second-generation thiazolide, in combination with oseltamivir to determine whether these compounds could reduce viral burden and understand their effects on the immune response to influenza virus infection in mice, compared with either monotherapy or placebo.
Results: The combination of RM-5061 and OST administered for 5 days after influenza infection reduced viral burden at day 5 post-infection, when compared to placebo and RM-5061 monotherapy, but was not significantly different from oseltamivir monotherapy. The inflammatory cytokine milieu was also reduced in animals which received a combination therapy when compared to RM-5061 and placebo-treated animals. Antiviral treatment in all groups led to a reduction in CD8+ T-cell responses in the BAL when compared to placebo.
Conclusions: To our knowledge, this is the first time a combination of a host-targeting compound, RM-5061, and neuraminidase inhibitor, OST, has been tested in vivo. This antiviral combination was safe in mice and led to reduced inflammatory responses following viral infection when compared to untreated animals.
- Development of a Monoclonal Antibody-Based Antigen Capture Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay for Detection of H7N9 Subtype Avian Influenza Virus 16 hours ago
- Development of A4 Antibody for Detection of Neuraminidase I223R/H275Y-associated Antiviral Multidrug-Resistant Influenza Virus 16 hours ago
- Modelling Analysis Revealed the Distinct Global Transmission Patterns of Influenza A Viruses and Their Influencing Factors 2 days ago
- Identification of Optimal Sample Collection Devices and Sampling Locations for the Detection Environmental Viral Contamination in Wire Poultry Cages 3 days ago
- SOCS3-deficient Lung Epithelial Cells Uptaking Neutrophil-Derived SOCS3 Worsens Lung Influenza Infection 3 days ago