Gao C, et al. Association Between Cardiac Injury and Mortality in Hospitalized Patients Infected With Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Virus. Crit Care Med. 2020 Jan 9.
To evaluate the prevalence of cardiac injury and its association with mortality in hospitalized patients infected with avian influenza A (H7N9) virus.
Retrospective cohort study.
A total of 133 hospitals in 17 provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities of mainland China that admitted influenza A (H7N9) virus-infected patients between January 22, 2015, and June 16, 2017.
A total of 321 patients with influenza A (H7N9) virus infection were included in the final analysis.
MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS:
Demographics and clinical characteristics were collected from medical records. Cardiac injury was defined according to cardiac biomarkers, electrocardiography, or echocardiography. Among the 321 patients, 203 (63.2%) showed evidence of cardiac injury. Compared with the uninjured group, the cardiac injury group had lower PaO2/FIO2 (median, 102.0 vs 148.4 mm Hg; p < 0.001), higher Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation II score (median, 17.0 vs 11.0; p < 0.001), longer stay in the ICU (10.0 vs 9.0 d; p = 0.029), and higher proportion of in-hospital death (64.0% vs 20.3%; p < 0.001). The proportion of virus clearance until discharge or death was lower in the cardiac injury group than in the uninjured group (58.6% vs 86.4%; p < 0.001). Multivariable-adjusted Cox proportional hazards regression analysis showed that cardiac injury was associated with higher mortality (hazards ratio, 2.06; 95% CI, 1.31-3.24) during hospitalization.
Cardiac injury is a frequent condition among hospitalized patients infected with influenza A (H7N9) virus, and it is associated with higher risk of mortality.
- Development of a Monoclonal Antibody-Based Antigen Capture Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay for Detection of H7N9 Subtype Avian Influenza Virus 17 hours ago
- Development of A4 Antibody for Detection of Neuraminidase I223R/H275Y-associated Antiviral Multidrug-Resistant Influenza Virus 17 hours ago
- Modelling Analysis Revealed the Distinct Global Transmission Patterns of Influenza A Viruses and Their Influencing Factors 2 days ago
- Identification of Optimal Sample Collection Devices and Sampling Locations for the Detection Environmental Viral Contamination in Wire Poultry Cages 3 days ago
- SOCS3-deficient Lung Epithelial Cells Uptaking Neutrophil-Derived SOCS3 Worsens Lung Influenza Infection 3 days ago