Borkenhagen LK, et al. High Risk of Influenza Virus Infection Among Swine Workers: Examining a Dynamic Cohort in China. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 1.
China is thought to be a hotspot for zoonotic influenza virus emergence, yet there have been few prospective studies examining the occupational risk of such infections.
We present the first two years of data collected from a five-year, prospective cohort study of swine-exposed and unexposed participants, pigs, and six swine farms in China. We conducted serological and virological surveillance to examine evidence for swine influenza A virus infection in humans.
Two hundred and seven (31.5%) of the 658 participants (521 swine-exposed and 137 unexposed), enrolled at any time period, seroconverted against at least one SIV subtype (swine H1N1 or H3N2). Swine-exposed participants´ microneutralization titers, especially those enrolled at confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), were higher against the swine H1N1 virus than were other participants at 12 and 24 months. Despite elevated titers, among the 187 study subjects for whom we had complete follow-up, participants working at swine CAFOs had significantly greater odds of seroconverting against both swine H1N1 (OR 19.16; 95% CI 3.55, 358.65) and swine H3N2 (OR 2.97; 95% CI 1.16, 8.01) viruses compared to unexposed and non-CAFO swine workers with less intense swine exposure.
While some of the observed increased risk against swine viruses may have been explained by exposure to human influenza strains, study data suggest that even with elevated preexisting antibodies, swine-exposed workers are at high risk of infection with enzootic swine influenza A viruses.
- Mammalian Pathogenicity and Transmissibility of Low Pathogenic Avian Influenza H7N1 and H7N3 Viruses Isolated From North America in 2018 5 days ago
- Highly Pathogenic H7N9 Avian Influenza Virus Infection Associated With Up-Regulation of PD-1/PD-Ls Pathway-Related Molecules 5 days ago
- Influenza A Virus Utilizes Non-Canonical Cap-Snatching to Diversify Its mRNA/ncRNA 6 days ago
- Live Poultry Market Closure and Avian Influenza A (H7N9) Infection in Cities of China, 2013-2017: An Ecological Study 6 days ago
- Pathogenesis of Influenza A(H7N9) Virus in Aged Non-Human Primates 9 days ago