Lindert K, Leav B, Heijnen E, Barrett J, Nicolay U. MF59-Adjuvanted Seasonal Trivalent Influenza Vaccine: Pooled Analysis of Safety in Older Adults ≥65 Years of Age. Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Mar 20.
To assess the long-term safety of MF59-adjuvanted trivalent influenza vaccine (aIIV3; Fluad?) in adults ≥65 years of age.
Data from 36 primary vaccination and 7 re-vaccination Phase I through III trials were analyzed; 7,532 subjects received aIIV3 and 5,198 subjects a nonadjuvanted trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (IIV3). These trials were evaluated in 2 data poolings: first-dose randomized controlled trials (FD-RCT) and revaccination trials. Spontaneously reported adverse events (AEs) from post-marketing surveillance were also analyzed.
The percentages of subjects reporting AEs following vaccination were similar between aIIV3 and IIV3: 24.8% for aIIV3 vs 26.7% for IIV3 (relative risk [RR] 0.94; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.87-1.01). The percentage of subjects with serious AEs was 6.7% for aIIV3 vs 7.0% for IIV3 (RR 0.95; 95% CI 0.82-1.09). Percentages of subjects with AEs leading to withdrawal, hospitalizations, adverse events of special interest (AESIs), and deaths between vaccination groups were similar. There was no signal of disproportionality for AESIs associated with aIIV3 compared to IIV3 in the post-marketing database.
This integrated safety analysis demonstrates an acceptable safety profile for aIIV3 in adults ≥65 years of age.
- Oseltamivir - Current dosing recommendations reduce the therapeutic benefit in patients with mild to moderate renal function and/or large body mass. A review of the literature with recommendations to 12 hours ago
- Avian Influenza Virus Prevalence and Subtype Diversity in Wild Birds in Shanghai, China, 2016-2018 12 hours ago
- Decreased Influenza Activity During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, Australia, Chile, and South Africa, 2020 2 days ago
- Human TRA2A determines influenza A virus host adaptation by regulating viral mRNA splicing 2 days ago
- Enterotropism of highly pathogenic avian influenza virus H5N8 from the 2016/2017 epidemic in some wild bird species 4 days ago