China: Black-faced spoonbill carcass tests positive for H5N1 virus in Hong Kong S.A.R
submited by kickingbird at Nov, 30, 2022 21:58 PM from AFCD, Hong Kong S.A.R
The bird carcass was found and collected earlier at a gei wai in the Reserve and preliminarily tested positive for the H5 AI virus on November 24. The black-faced spoonbill is a winter visitor mainly found in the Deep Bay area.
The spokesman said cleaning and disinfection of visitor facilities including bird hides and a floating boardwalk has been stepped up. A disinfectant carpet has been placed at the entrance of the Reserve for visitors to disinfect the soles of their shoes. In addition, the AFCD is closely monitoring the situation of the birds there and has put up notices to remind visitors to pay attention to personal hygiene.
There are no chicken farms within 3 kilometres of where the dead bird was found. The AFCD has recently strengthened AI surveillance and closely monitored the situation of local poultry farms and the wholesale market. Poultry farmers, pet bird shop owners and licence holders of pet poultry and bird exhibitions are reminded from time to time to implement proper precautions against AI.
The spokesman said that the department will closely monitor poultry farms and the wholesale market to ensure that proper precautions against AI have been taken. The department will continue its wild bird monitoring and surveillance.
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality (the case resided in Sichuan province) Aug, 23, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9) reported in Sichuan Province Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A H5N1 HPAIV outbreak in wild birds reported in Naqu city of Xizang Autonomous Region Jul, 28, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Guangxi Autonomous Region Jul, 20, 2023